If you're looking for that perfect sans sun golden hue, you're not alone. Nervous about it looking natural? We're with you on that one. So we hit up St. Tropez Skin Finishing Expert, Sophie Evans, to find out everything we can do to ensure our faux tan looks as even, non-orange, and sexy as possible.
Before Your Tan:
1. Wax or shave at least 24 hours before your appointment. This will allow the pores to settle and prevent dark spots.
2. Exfoliate well with a non-oil based exfoliator. An oil product will leave residue behind and interfere with the self tanner.
3. Wear loose, dark clothing to prevent uneven color or unwanted stains.
4. Make sure all products are removed with a makeup removing wipe. Deodorant left behind on the skin will cause discolorations. Skin should be clean, dry, exfoliated, and product-free.
5. Moisturize the elbows, knees, hands, feet, back of the heels, crease of the wrists and any other dry areasthese areas will tan much darker if not prepped properly.
After Your Tan:
1. Allow your tan to develop for a good eight hours before showering. The longer your tan is left before the first wash, the darker and the long-lasting your tan will be.
2. Avoid swimming and exercise for the first 24 hours.
3. Shower with lukewarm water to best hold the optimal color.
4. Moisturize every day after showering and before bed time. This will really increase the longevity of your tan.
5. Be gentle with your skin! Pat to dry, never rub.