5-Step Runway Looks: Mastering the Messy Chignon at Alice + Olivia
Being neat is so overrated. At least it was backstage at Alice + Olivia where Sebastian Professional stylist Thomas Dunkin was aiming for the messiest chignon possible. "We want everyone to be able to do this style, without being too difficult or taking all night." A hairstyle that you could wear straight off the runway and to your Valentine's date tonight? We needed to know more. Read below to get the five steps Dunkin did to create this style.
1. Dampen hair with water and apply Sebastian Volupt Spray evenly throughout the hair.
2. Blow-dry hair, using your fingers as a comb to get maximum texture and volume.
3. Part either in the center or off to the side and twist small sections on each side of your head, pulling the rest of the hair back into a chignon (Dunkin says the easiest way to do this is to create a ponytail and twist it until it begins to twist around itself). Let any pieces that fall out remain outside of your chignon.
4. Secure the hair with an elastic and pin any stray hairs around the chignon with bobby pins. Using your fingers, pull the chignon (like you are tightening a ponytail) into an oversized bun shape and fasten with more bobby pins.
5. Spritz hair with Sebastian Professional Trilliant Thermal Protection and Shimmer Complex for hold and shine.
Take a look at the side of the hair below, will you try this messy updo on for size tonight?