Beauty Bummer: The Weather Sucks
April showers often mean frazzled hair and a face as gray as the day. But we'll have none of that!
1. Carry a white umbrella. A white umbrella (polka dots optional) will reflect a hint of light onto your face, brightening up your skin tone, says New York City photographer Cliff Watts.
2. Outwit frizz. Frizz serum is a must on dreary days. The trick, says L.A. stylist Jonathan Antin, star of Bravo's Blow Out, is to apply an even coat to wet hair. Try Paul Mitchell Gloss Drops, $15.
3. Get glowing. Everything is dewier on rainy days, so go for radiance. "Slick on a tinted moisturizer and a peach or fuchsia lip gloss; they'll bring a healthy gleam," says Mally Roncal, the makeup artist who beautifies Beyoncé. A sexy selection: CoverGirl WetSlicks in Peaches N Gleam, $5.
4. Splash on some color. Go for a sky blue or grass green eye shadow. "Since they're cool tones, they'll be an alluring contrast to all that gray," says Roncal. We like Almay Bright Eyes Shimmer Pearls in Violets Are Blue and Over the Rainbow, $7.50 each.
5. Make waves. Humidity has natural curling power, so come-hither coils are a great option for wet weather. Tousle in a curl enhancer, then twirl sections around your finger, aiming a blow-dryer with a diffuser at each spiral for a few seconds, says NYC salon owner Mark Garrison, who's tended to Scarlett Johansson's tresses.
6. Do coif damage control. If your hair falls victim to a sudden downpour, head to the nearest restroom and blast it with the hand dryer. To control frizz on your ends, smooth on a little gel, hand lotion or lip gloss anything gooey you've got.