IF YOU HAVE: OVERWORKED HANDS
- Try: a hand and wrist massage
In this high-tech era, finger cramping, "BlackBerry thumb," and carpal tunnel syndrome are a big focus for spas. The Hyatt's Pure Spas offer the Blackberry Balm Hand Massage, a hand treatment including a blackberry balm, which has anti-inflammatory properties.
- At home: Massage hands with a moisturizer such as Mistral Scented Shea Butter Tin in Wild Blackberry, $6. Pay attention to the fleshy area between your forefinger and thumb. "It is one of the most powerful reflex points on the body," explains Barbara Stirewalt, spa director at Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz, NY.
IF YOU HAVE: PMS
- Try: a Swedish massage
"Instead of deep tissue, the light, soothing touch of a Swedish massage on the stomach helps with bloating and cramping," says Jamie Ahn, founder of Townhouse Spa in New York City, which offers the Monthly Massage.
- At home: Place your forefinger four fingers' distance below your belly button and press firmly, taking four deep breaths. Then rub your stomach (with Kerstin Florian Aromatherapy Harmony Body Oil, $40) for 10 minutes in a clockwise motion. "This stimulates the intestines to relieve constipation one of the reasons we get cramps," explains Ahn.
IF YOU HAVE: A BUN IN THE OVEN
- Try: a prenatal lower-back and leg massage
For mommies-to-be, extra belly weight can take its toll on the lower back and legs. "These areas often need extra care and attention," says Rebecca Matthias, president and creative director of Edamame Maternity Spas. A gentle massage with herbal extracts can also help reduce water retention, increase circulation, and restore energy.
- At home: Reenergize tired gams with stimulating rosemary or spearmint. Find them both in Bliss Herban Jungle Exfoliating Soap, $16.
IF YOU HAVE: STILETTO PAIN
- Try: a foot massage
Sometimes a pedicure won't cut it, explains Ann Marie Cilmi, director of education and development at Bliss Spas. "Achy, swollen feet need an intensive massage done by a massage therapist rather than a nail technician," she says. Bliss' The High Heal-er massage includes a hot paraffin pack and a cooling lotion this combo reduces swelling and stimulates circulation.
- At home: Massage your feet with a warming scrub, such as Olay Body Thermal Pedicure Foot Treatment, $10. Follow with a minty, cooling foot lotion.