Get serene at work with this meditative technique:
1. Find a private place, preferably where you can sit down, such as behind a closed conference room door or on a step in an empty stairwell.
2. Breathe evenly, listening to your breath, for about a minute.
3. State your goal to yourself, such as I need to calm down about that e-mail I just received.
4. Picture yourself in a beautiful and serene location in nature a quiet forest, a high mountain meadow or anywhere relaxing.
5. Ask yourself what this place will smell like. What will you hear? What do you see and feel around you?
6. Spend up to five minutes in that place, experiencing it with every sense, before returning to your desk.