Get a Stronger Heart and Killer Legs
Your goal this week: Listen to your body!
Monday: Endurance Training
This week, focus on endurance. Select one of the following exercises: Treadmill, outdoor run, elliptical machine, stationary bike, or an outdoor bike ride. How do you know which to choose? Listen to your body! If your knees are giving you trouble, skip running, and get on the elliptical or bike instead! Follow the following interval guide:
• 5 minute warm up
• 4 minutes at an comfortable pace (working at a 5-6 on a scale of 10).
• 45 seconds at an uncomfortable pace (working at a higher intensity, 8-9 on a scale of 10).
• Repeat 4 times through
• Cool down for 5 minutes
Tuesday: Lower Body Strength Circuit
Grab a jump ropein between each exercise below, you'll jump rope for 1 minute. If you don't have one, dont comfortable jumping, or it's not something you are willing to invest in right now, march in place or simulate turning and jumping over a jump rope. (Click here to get the instructions for the moves below.)
• 20 squats with feet shoulder width apart (targets glutes, quads, and hamstrings). Jump rope for 1 minute.
• 20 alternating front lunges with 2-second hold (targets glutes, quads, and hamstrings. Jump rope for 1 minute.
• 12 single-leg extensions either balancing or holding on to chair on each leg (targets quads and hips). Jump rope for 1 minute.
• 20 plié squats (targets inner thighs and glutes). Jump rope for 1 minute.
Wednesday: Cardio Session
Repeat from Monday's endurance session. If you feel yourself getting bored, switch up your cardio machine, or divide your time between two different activities.
Thursday: Quick Full Body Circuit Part II
This circuit is similar to the full-body workout from week 1, but with additional challenges. (Click here to get the instructions for the moves below.)
Start with a 5-minute warm up (jog, jumping jacks or jump rope).
• 20 squats to alternating-knee lifts (targets glutes, quads, hamstrings, hips, and core)
• 10 push-ups to a T rotation on knees or toes, whichever gives you the best form (targets chest, shoulders, and obliques)
• 10 traveling lunges on each leg (targets glutes, hamstrings, quads, and core)
• 10 tricep dips with one leg up (targets triceps and glutes)
• Repeat circuit 3 times through